Thursday 8 March 2012

Herbivore



Gem here. Husband and I have always lived in an apartment so I am used to having no backyard but that doesn't mean I do without. I love having pots of my favourite herbs at close hand however when we moved to our Cayman condo on the ocean I was positive that the salt air would spell disaster. It took me a while to give it a go but after paying exorbitant prices for a few sprigs of imported, wilted excuses of herbs and not always being able to get what I needed, I decided it was time to don the gardening gloves. To my great surprise my herbies have never looked back and just love island life...



 My friends know I am addicted to mint- gin and tonics, smoothies, juices, water, you name it, I put mint in every beverage that passes my lips. Husband on the other hand is a massive fan of pesto so whenever my little basil bush has a growth spurt, I whip up a batch and know that someone will be happy. It is so easy, tastes incomparably amazing versus the store bought jar variety and its uses are endless.





In a food processor pulse 3 garlic cloves and 2 bunches of basil. Add handful of toasted (cooled) pine nuts, zest of one lemon and juice of 1-2 lemons, salt and pepper and a decent slosh of good quality olive oil and pulse. Add more olive oil until you are happy with consistency. Add 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and pulse momentarily. Taste- add more S&P or lemon if need be. Spoon into airtight jar and pour thin film of olive oil over pesto to help preserve and do this after every use (if it lasts that long!).

This is my version- play around with the ingredients if you like it nuttier or cheesier etc. Due to my mint fetish I often substitute 1/4 of the basil with mint and it is delish and vibrant.
Plus there are so many wonderful combinations of herbs and nuts that make unique and tasty pestos.
Happy pulsing!

Bowl of Sunshine


2 comments:

  1. We have never been able to grow basil like we did in Cayman, it keeps dying on us! I think husband kills them with kindness (overwatering). You've inspired me to try again Gem! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gem, Mum isn't sure how to comment on a blog (all a bit too fandangle!) however she wants to let you know that you've inspired her to start a herb garden this weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete